Login or Register
::  Home  ::  Videos  ::  Your Account  ::  Forums  ::  RSS Feed  ::
  • Atomic
  • - Aviation
    - Aircraft
    - Military
    - Explosions
    - WW2
    - Various
    - Hi-Def
    - Photos

    - Wallpaper

    - Nuclear

    - WWI

    - WWII

    Custom Search
    User Info
    Welcome, Anonymous
    Latest: Margret11E
    New Today: 0
    New Yesterday: 0
    Overall: 751

    People Online:
    Visitors: 0
    Members: 0
    Total: 0

    sonicbomb.com :: View topic - Incredible story : The H bomb drop failure, december 1971

    Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

    View next topic
    View previous topic
    Post new topic Reply to topic  sonicbomb.com Forum Index » China's Nuclear Weapons Program
    Author Message
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

    Joined: Nov 27, 2007
    Posts: 303
    Location: France

    PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:55 pm Reply with quote

    A new discovery

    December 30, 1971, a chinese nuclear test is a failure when a chinese bomber attempt to drop the bomb, but the bomb itself were not released Shocked Shocked Shocked

    Finally a second mission ended succefully during the january 7 1972

    A & S: And on the day of the actual flight?

    Yang: On December 30, 1971, weather conditions were good. I took off from the airbase in the late morning and headed toward the target, ground zero at Lop Nor, three hundred kilometers (186 miles) away. I flew at 900 kilometers an hour (559 mph) and an altitude of 300 meters (984 feet), following the procedures we had established. Twelve kilometers (7.5 miles) from the target, I started my 45-degree-angle climb, and exactly at 1,200 meters (3,936 feet) released the bomb.

    Nothing happened! The bomb did not separate from the aircraft. The indicators on the panel showed that it was still attached. I turned back toward the target and prepared to do everything again a second time.

    We had planned for emergencies. There were three separate release mechanisms, mechanical links to the bomb shackle, of which two were backups in case the first one failed. I tried all three; none worked.

    On my second approach I followed the same procedures, and again the bomb failed to release. I turned to try again. I made a third approach, and for the third time the bomb would not release. The situation was now critical. I was running short of fuel.

    Before taking off, I had reviewed our emergency procedures. I had three choices: I could abandon the aircraft by parachute and let it crash in a remote area of the vast desert that surrounded the Lop Nor Test site. I could crash-land the aircraft to assure that it was set down in place where it would harm no one. Or I could try to bring the aircraft back to base. I reflected on the time and the effort that went into the H-bomb project, and the great deal of money it cost the Chinese people, and I made my choice. I would try to bring the airplane and the H-bomb back to base.

    There was a great risk in doing this. There were 10,000 people on the airbase, although only a few knew about the mission I was on. If anything went wrong, thousands would lose their lives. The bomb under the fuselage would be hanging just ten centimeters (four inches) above the ground as I landed.

    All radio stations in northwest China had been shut down during my flight, and all flights in the area were banned. I radioed the tower of my decision to return, and asked that everyone on the base be evacuated into the tunnels that were dug underneath the base. It was Zhou Enlai himself who gave the order to evacuate.

    A & S: Was there a possibility that the bomb could explode if it contacted the runway on landing?

    Yang: There were five “safeties” that had to be deactivated to enable the bomb to explode. When the bomb was mounted to the airplane, the first safety was released. Fifteen minutes after the aircraft took off, the second safety was released; the third when the aircraft reached the target zone. When the pilot decided to drop the bomb, he released the fourth. The fifth and final safety released automatically sixty seconds after the bomb was dropped, an instant before it exploded.

    No one could be sure whether or not the bomb would explode if it touched the runway, but I was confident that I could set the airplane down gently. So I landed with the H-bomb hanging under me. It was a perfect landing. When I shut down the engine, there was total silence; I was completely alone. The airfield was deserted. All 10,000 personnel were sitting in tunnels under the ground. I could not leave the cockpit: there was no ladder for me to climb down from the fuselage that was high above the ground.

    I called the tower and asked for help. The tower told me to work my way back to the tail and jump. The people in the control tower were angry; in their eyes I had put 10,000 lives at risk,

    And I had caused a big mess. When I notified the tower that I was returning with the bomb, the evacuation siren went off. It was lunchtime at the airbase; everyone was sitting down and eating. They had to rush out, put on gas masks and scramble into the tunnels. A big rice cooker caught fire because there was no one left to take care of the kitchen. Everyone there then still remembers my name: I could have brought them their Judgment Day.

    It took a long time for anyone to come near my aircraft. Our procedures for dealing with the H-bomb meant we had to wear rubber shoes and clothing that would not create static electricity. No metal was allowed in the area of the bomb. In the nuclear weapons storage bunker, all steel columns were wrapped in copper. Now that I had unexpectedly brought the H-bomb back, there were no service vehicles equipped with the required shielding. I sat out on the field for a long while.

    A & S: What had caused the hang-up?

    Yang: We sent the release devices to Beijing for analysis. It was determined that one reason the shackle malfunctioned was that the mechanism was carefully kept in a heated area until just before it was mounted on the aircraft. This was not the usual procedure, but as this was the first release of a live bomb, everyone was being especially careful. When the aircraft took into the cold air, it was possible that the sudden temperature change affected the tolerances on parts of the mechanism that caused its failure to release. The shackles and release mechanism were modified so this could not happen again.

    A & S: So you were not concerned on your second attempt?

    Yang: The decision was to go again on January 7, 1972. Wind conditions were optimal. Weather at the Lop Nor site was good, but there was a cold front moving in. It was snowing at the airbase when I took off.

    This time there was no problem. I followed procedures, and when I released the bomb, it separated from the aircraft as it was supposed to. As soon as the bomb was gone, I reversed course to get far away from the blast zone and activated shields that would protect me in the cockpit. Then I saw the flash, a very big flash. The bomb exploded in the air, at a pre-determined height above the ground. I felt the shockwave—it rocked me like a small boat in the ocean—and then I saw the mushroom cloud rising up into sky. By that time I was already 20 kilometers (12.4 miles) away from ground zero.

    Watching the mushroom cloud from the air, I could see how different layers of clouds inside the mushroom were connected to one another, just like smoke from a chimney. At that moment I felt very happy. The test had been successful! And then I had to face my new concern: how to land safely on a runway covered in snow.

    After I landed, I found little excitement at the airbase. Because of the heavy snow, no one there saw anything, not the great flash of light, nor the mushroom cloud that the people near ground zero saw.

    The FULL story
    The link

    Shocked Shocked Shocked
    I am sure that the guys on the ground were not amused.
    View user's profile Send private message
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

    Joined: Aug 10, 2007
    Posts: 448
    Location: Monte Bello Islands

    PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote

    Great find!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
    View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
    Hood (74 kt)

    Joined: Feb 21, 2009
    Posts: 67
    Location: Sukhanovka

    PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:43 pm Reply with quote

    Yeah...thats a great story. I wonder what everyone was told after they were evacuated, I'm guessing that they were told it was a drill...but they missed out on lunch for it Laughing .
    View user's profile Send private message
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

    Joined: Jun 14, 2009
    Posts: 479

    PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote

    They shoulda stayed for lunch. At least if something bad happened, they would have had at least enjoyed their lunch together. Crazyness. I wanna see more film of these Chinese tests.
    View user's profile Send private message
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

    Joined: Aug 10, 2007
    Posts: 448
    Location: Monte Bello Islands

    PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:02 pm Reply with quote

    Pics I found of the Q-5A used to deliver this shot, along with some photos of the actual bomb. A Chinese source I found stated that they were basically practice bombs used for the pilot's training for the test.



    View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
    Forum Admin
    Forum Admin

    Joined: Aug 06, 2006
    Posts: 1795
    Location: UK

    PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:45 pm Reply with quote

    Great find
    View user's profile Send private message
    Display posts from previous:   
    Post new topic Reply to topic

    View next topic
    View previous topic
    You cannot post new topics in this forum
    You cannot reply to topics in this forum
    You cannot edit your posts in this forum
    You cannot delete your posts in this forum
    You cannot vote in polls in this forum

    Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group
    | Privacy Policy || Contact us |

    Page Generation: 0.14 Seconds
    :: In the future we will all be robots ::