New Today: 0
    New Yesterday: 0
    Overall: 666

People Online:
    Visitors: 0
    Members: 0
    Total: 0

sonicbomb.com :: View topic - Hiroshima Explosion Photos

Forum FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in

View next topic
    View previous topic
    Post new topic Reply to topic  sonicbomb.com Forum Index » General Atomic Chat
    azer2692
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:27 pm Reply with quote

this is from my picture of atomic archives cd-rom
    very detail imformation
    http://img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=69307758vu0.jpg
    Grapple
    Sunset (1 mt)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote

A good debate about what happened with the Hiroshima explosion photos...very old,but interesting:

http://gadget1945.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=136255

Very...very interesting article about the photo work on Trinity and Hiroshima and Nagasaki missions(France language):

http://1895.revues.org/document3222.html

Interesting...i canīt find any article like this in English language...

Apparently...who made the famous Nagasaki explosion film was Charle Levy using a ordinary 16mm câmera.

Oh man...for years i want to know these informations! Laughing
    azer2692
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:56 pm Reply with quote

i getting much and much sense
    Hiroshima detonated is a premeditate project
    i got some documents from Truman library
    i can,t believe there are many photos before detonated in Hiroshima by U.S.A photographer
    just guess by myself
    azer2692
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm Reply with quote

Grapple wrote:

Interesting...i canīt find any article like this in English language...

Apparently...who made the famous Nagasaki explosion film was Charle Levy using a ordinary 16mm câmera.

Oh man...for years i want to know these informations! Laughing

i will recently order the 16mm film transfer to HD 1080P
    how long the run time of film i don,t know
    because i will get film is edited
    if i could , i will upload pictures to the forum
    Grapple
    Sunset (1 mt)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote

I always wanted to see a unedited version of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki explosions films.Is possible find this?

I canīt believe that in two historic missions like that they have only one "official" camera to record the event.
    revolutionman
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote

Grapple wrote:
    I always wanted to see a unedited version of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki explosions films.Is possible find this?

I canīt believe that in two historic missions like that they have only one "official" camera to record the event.

Ya the complete films for sure. Most likely the US government has tampered with them over the years and they are locked up, or heavily edited or who knows what for good.
    Graviton
    Yankee (13.5 mt)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:05 am Reply with quote

Most of the footage for Hiroshima bombing was lost through an accident with many of the stock film reels.

The Great Artiste was the instrumented observer plane for both bombings.
    revolutionman
    Cherokee (3.8 mt)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:53 pm Reply with quote

Graviton wrote:
    Most of the footage for Hiroshima bombing was lost through an accident with many of the stock film reels.

The Great Artiste was the instrumented observer plane for both bombings.

Thanks for the info. I am new to discovering all this incredible film and information but have been interested in nuclear weapons for many many years. All the test film on here just amazes me and there obviously is more out there somewhere.
    ThinMan
    Fizzle
    Fizzle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:37 pm Reply with quote

Is there any footage of the actual blasts in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Not the drab rising mushroom cloud, but the actual explosion, blast, flash, shockwave.
    chasrob
    Franklin Prime (5 kt)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote

ThinMan wrote:
    Is there any footage of the actual blasts in Hiroshima and Nagasaki? Not the drab rising mushroom cloud, but the actual explosion, blast, flash, shockwave.

I think not, all the planes were diving away, escaping the shock wave and didn't turn to look back until the shock hit. All of the B-29s made a diving turn away from the detonation point as soon as the bomb was dropped from the Enola Gay. They were more concerned about surviving the blast than getting photos; sensibly enough, considering the unknowns about the uranium bomb.

Re: I read an account where the Hiroshima film mysteriously disappeared shortly after the Enola Gay landed.
    Graviton
    Yankee (13.5 mt)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote

The disappearance of visual documentation is a common myth.

Quote:
    On August 6, 1945, Agnew flew as a scientific observer with the 509th Composite Group to Hiroshima in the B-29 aircraft The Great Artiste, piloted by Charles Sweeney, which tailed the Enola Gay. With Luis Alvarez and Larry Johnson, Agnew had devised a method for measuring the yield of the nuclear blast by dropping pressure gauges on parachutes and telemetering the readings back to the plane. He later recalled, "After we dropped our gauges I remember we made a sharp turn to the right so that we would not get caught in the blast - but we still got badly shaken up by it." He brought along a movie camera and took the only existing movies of the Hiroshima event as seen from the air. SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Agnew#Manhattan_Project_and_Hiroshima_mission

You can see he was busy with the pressure gauge instrument deployments during the drop. He only had time to record while they made a return sweep. No films/photos were taken of the actual moments of detonation, but briefly afterward.

They were in a war zone. They dropped the bombs, related instruments, recorded the measurement data, and fled the scenes.

Quote:
    Harold Agnew on: The Hiroshima Mission

SOURCE: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/bomb/filmmore/reference/interview/agnewhiroshima.html

Harold Agnew Q: Were you actually on the mission? Were you on one of the planes?

HA: I flew on the Hiroshima mission in an airplane called the Great Artiste, actually, piloted by Sweeney, who piloted the box car on the Nagasaki mission. And Louis Alvarez had convinced Oppie [Robert Oppenheimer] that, well, maybe neither of these things would work and we ought to try to devise a way of measuring the yield, and that was a little -- that's pretty tricky because you couldn't be on ground. So we devised a method of dropping some blast gauges on parachutes and then telemetering the blast pressure of the impulse back to our plane, recording it, and then analyzing the results, and that's how we determined the yield.

So, there were three of us, Larry Johnson, Louis Alvarez, and myself. We each had a separate frequency that we tuned in on. Larry and I got a signal. Louis didn't. He was the boss, but that's okay. If we had missed it, he would have really chewed us out for not getting -- it was very tricky because the instruments had to come on. They were cold. They had to be heated, and then you had to search for your frequency. It was -- it wasn't easy. There was a lot of luck involved in whether you found your particular frequency and tuned in on your particular gauge. But at the same time, I brought some movie cameras along, and all the pictures you see were all mine.

After the bomb had been dropped, General Spaatz, who was head of the 20th Air Force, came up to visit where we were on Tinian, and a fellow from Cornell, Charlie Baker, had to give him a briefing on how all this took place, and what it was all about, and Spaatz came in at the head of echelon of generals, lieutenant generals, maybe three behind him, majors, generals, maybe six behind him. They all came marching in. Spaatz had one of these riding whips under his arm and stood there and Charlie Baker went through how all this worked, and he ended up opening up the little carrying case, which you have a picture of me holding, and showing the void inside, which is about the size of a medium size grapefruit. And he said, and this is the material from which we got the ten, fifteen thousand tons of high explosive equivalent, and Spaatz stood there looking him, and you can just see the wheels going around, this kid is making an ass out of me, and he finally said, young man you may believe that, but I certainly don't, turned around, walked out, with the whole phalanx of generals behind him. It just shows the level of understanding. It's pretty mind-boggling to think, when you have been thinking about chemical reactions where you have got a couple of electron volts in a reaction, and here you get two hundred and ten million - seventy million times more energy per molecule in nuclear energy.

View next topic
    View previous topic